Wednesday, April 13, 2016

3 Weeks (or so) to Morning Time Magic...

3 Weeks (or so) to Morning Time Magic



I really like baby steps.Not because I want to take baby steps- If I had my way, I'd go "whole hog" on everything all the time and plow through till I achieved perfection.[Most who know me would find that shocking, but its true.]

However...when raising and educating young people, its tough impossible to find the time and undivided attention needed to do all that plowing through and perfection attaining!


Morning Time {which I happily found because a dear friend, Annie, invited me to read Sarah Mackenzie's Teaching From Rest with some of my Tribe members} has transformed our days...and I'm only months in (with a long summer of car travel in between)


I am desperate to share the joy of it with all the people I can.


First, I'd like to direct you to the ladies I've begun to glean the most from in this realm:Sarah Mackenzie, Pam Barnhill and Cindy Rollins, I'm pretty sure they have all the answers, and in a lovelier and more easily read way.


...But in case you don't feel inspired to click on those priceless links,  I want to help you start your Morning Time Magic one week at a time :-)I think the hardest batch of folks to jump in with would be those with nursing babies and tiny toddlers -especially those of the twin and triplet variety :-)Next might come those with the big kids.In any case- I think these easy 5 steps will make it do-able!


Morning time, as mentioned earlier can be your opportunity to embrace:

Ritual
Recitation
& Reading


Ritual- Something some of us live by and others run from! But in the end, our children WANT something predictable and regular. It's comforting and assuring. Poet Miller Williams said: Ritual is important to us as human beings. It ties us to our traditions and our histories.

Recitation- Something modern education has shunned at times. But in the end, it is what fills heads with things to consider. It paints pictures. It creates a library in our minds for reference over any variety of subjects! 
" before the 1950's, students were tested on their core knowledge through recitations. They might recite a long poem like Longfellow's Hiawatha..."--Leigh Bortins, The Core, p.24
I think we've lost that a little- but it's easy to bring back.

Reading- Something we ALL know is beneficial and really necessary -I recently read of the difference between ILLITERACY and ALITERACY. The illiterate are unable to read.; the aliterate are unwilling to read. We need to protect our children's ability to get lost in a great story, and to daydream about its characters until they get back to the story again.  Reading stories together ties us together, and cultivates a desire to read. It helps form our thoughts about how the world should be and how it really is. It causes us to ask questions, and grapple with an imperfect world.

WEEK ONE
WEEK TWO
WORSHIP
WHY AND HOW
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?
FLOODING AFFECTIONS
WEEK THREE
WEEK FOUR
WEEK FIVE



No comments:

Post a Comment