Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Are You a Life Long Learner?

"Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." -Albert Einstein

While I have always been a voracious reader, I have not always considered myself a life long learner. This is one of many reasons I will forever be grateful to the Lord for calling me into homeschooling. Somewhere in the prayer for guidance and the frenzy to find the topics and resources to ignite wonder in my children, my own curiosities were awakened. I've always had one foot (ok, more like every fiber of my being) in the realm of politics, government and American history. I never dreamt I'd find an interest in botany, latin, ancient history and much more. It is crystal clear. God created us with a desire to learn. But lets face it, I have a husband, four children, two dogs, and four chickens. I'm tired. When am I going to carve out time to "learn" anything? After much thought I think the answer is, I won't. Oh maybe, when my kids are grown and gone and my husband retires I'll be able to carve out hours a day to read and ponder all the ideas and information I could ever imagine. But right now? Life long learning simply has to be a way of life. A ritual I participate in daily. A habit my children see woven into each experience in our day.


It doesn't need to look a certain way. Any parent who engages in discovering the world with their children is a life long learner. Every time I read a history or science book to my kids, I discover something new. So maybe it just looks like a normal school day. But maybe it also looks like a late night study session in latin because I want to keep up with my Jr. Higher. Sadly, I am not keeping up. And that's ok. I know more today about latin then I did last week and next week I'll know more that I do today. Isn't that the point? Progress? We will never know everything but we can purpose to use the time we have graciously been given to explore, to inspect, and to wonder.

Maybe it looks like getting together with some of your favorite people to dissect a cray fish. Because if you are going to lead 8 students in a dissection, you want to know what you are doing. And possibly work out some of the heebie jeebies before the big day.


I can promise you I never in my wildest dreams thought I would know the parts of a cray fish. But I do now. I know about the cepholathorax,  abdomen, chyloped, and the swimmerets. I can even tell you whether the cray fish is male or female.  Impressive, I know. I had a blast learning about it. So in the spirit of challenging ourselves I have a few questions to ask you...


Can you find the time to read good literature? I believe beautiful language is good for the soul. To feel a small part of painful and redeeming stories. I need it just as much as my children.


Can you watch a documentary on a subject you may have previously had no interest in? After seeing the movie Everest my husband and I obsessively watched documentaries on mountain climbing. It's never been an interest of mine, but I found it fascinating. There are documentaries on everything from clean eating to tiny houses. From mountain biking to independent farming. I may or may not be working my way through each of them. Thank you Netflix.

Can you view a lecture on line? My favorite right now are the free classes offered by Hillsdale College. You guys, these classes are free. My oldest and I are about to start the class on Winston Churchill.  Ted talks has fascinating topics. You can listen to podcasts, watch youtube, and utilize literally hundreds of other resources.

Can you do a simple science experiment with your kids or just sketch what you see in nature?
How about learning a new recipe, or reading up on one piece of art or artist? Do you have time to sit, listen to a concerto, and read a short biography on the composer?

I know we are all busy. Our days can be consumed with making snacks, completing reading and math lessons, and folding laundry. All important things that are worthy of our time. But what additional richness could we add to our lives and our children's if we made sure we didn't lose our wonder? Wouldn't it be amazing to show our families there is always more to discover and observe? My goal is to ponder the things of this life while keeping my eyes and heart fixed on the next.

What are some of the ways you keep the spark lit in your learning?



No comments:

Post a Comment